Few things can upset a trip more than losing your passport or having it stolen.  But it doesn’t have to ruin everything. It can be fixed.  Just keep in mind you will have to replace it before returning to the U.S.  So here are the steps you’ll need to take when find your passport is missing.


Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate

Step 1 – Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for assistance immediately.  Ask to speak to the Consular Section to report your passport lost or stolen. If you have been the victim of a serious crime, be sure to tell a consular officer about it as soon as possible so they can provide appropriate assistance. If you are scheduled to leave the foreign country shortly, make sure to provide the consular staff with the details of your travel.

Collect the pieces you need before you go to the consulate

Step 2 – Make sure you have everything you need before you head over to the embassy/consulate. Here is a list of items you should take with you:
  • A Passport Photo (one photo is required; get it prior to going to the embassy/consulate to speed the process of replacing your passport)
  • Identification (driver’s license, expired passport etc.)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate, photocopy of your missing passport)
  • Travel Itinerary (airline tickets)
  • Police Report (if available)
  • DS-11 Application for Passport (this may be completed at while applying for your replacement)

Don’t stress if you can’t bring all of the items above.  The consular staff will do their best to assist you to replace your passport quickly.

Report the loss or theft of your passport

Step 3 – Complete a report for the loss or theft of your passport.  You can do this by using the DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport describing the circumstances under which your passport was lost or stolen passport, or simply execute a sworn statement before the consular officer describing what happened.

File a police report

Step 4 – File a police report is not mandatory but can help confirm the circumstances of the loss or theft.  Don’t spend time obtaining a police report if doing so will cause you to miss a flight or delay your travel unreasonably.

Replacement Passport FAQ’s

(From the U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs)

How Long is a Replacement Passport Valid?
Replacement passports are normally valid for a full ten years for adults or five years for minors.   However, if you have urgent travel plans, the embassy/consulate can issue a limited-validity, emergency passport that can be produced more quickly to allow you to return to the U.S. or continue on your trip.  Once you return home, you can turn in your emergency passport and receive a full-validity passport.

Other complicating factors, such as multiple lost/stolen passports or borrowing money from the State Department to fund your trip home, may cause you to receive a limited passport.  If you received a limited passport because of multiple lost/stolen passports or an outstanding loan, you will need to resolve those issues with the State Department before you can be issued a new passport.

Are Fees Charged to Replace Lost/Stolen Passports Abroad?
The normal passport fees are collected from applicants for replacement passports. Applicants unable to pay the fee will be asked to provide names of persons they feel would be able to assist them financially if there is sufficient time. See our information about Financial Assistance to U.S. citizens abroad and Sending Money Overseas to U.S. Citizen in an Emergency.

However, if:

  • the applicant is the victim of a serious crime; or
  • the applicant is a victim of a disaster

and the applicant does not have and cannot reasonably be expected to obtain money to pay the fees before continuing travel, the passport fee may be waived and a limited-validity passport will be issued.  When the person applies for a full-validity passport upon their return to the United States, the regular passport fee will be charged for the replacement passport. 

Can the U.S. Embassy Issue a Replacement Passport on a Weekend or Holiday?
Most U.S. embassies and consulates cannot issue passports on weekends or holidays when the embassy/consulate is closed.  All U.S. embassies and consulates have after-hours duty officers available to assist with life or death emergencies of U.S. citizens abroad. Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate after-hours duty officer for assistance if you have an emergency need to travel or have been the victim of a serious crime.

Duty officers must focus primary attention on life or death emergencies.  In most cases, except for serious emergencies, a replacement passport will not be issued until the next business day.

For more information on your passport, click on the link below:

In an emergency, or to report a lost or stolen passport, please contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate or call these numbers:

From the U.S. & Canada


From Overseas

+1 202-501-4444


Like what you’ve read? Want to learn how to better enjoy your scuba diving vacation? Maybe you’d like to travel with Delightful Departures on an upcoming adventure? Become part of the Delightful Departures communityDiscover different destinations and travel tips in our biweekly newsletter.  Join today.

Join Our Community


Leave a Reply